Palming is an activity you can do to relax your eyes periodically throughout the day. Here’s how it’s done:
- Cover your closed eyes with your hands, so that the palms are over (but not touching) your eyelids. Your fingers should overlap above your nose on your forehead;
- Take several deep breathes and take in the complete darkness (or visualize a relaxing setting);
- After 20 seconds or so, uncover your eyes and allow them to refocus. You’re ready to continue your day!
If you regularly work with your computer, you should periodically look away to allow your eyes to change focus. This exercise should be repeated regularly throughout the day. Here’s how to do it:
- Identify 2 objects that are roughly 20 feet away and relax;
- Comfortably focus on one object for approximately 10-15 seconds, then focus on the other object for 10-15 seconds
- Return your focus to your monitor and continue working.
Stretches from Stretching, Inc.